Mon – Fri, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sat, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sun, 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m.
Closed Sundays, January through March and all state holidays, please call for more information.
As steward of the state’s art treasures, the South Dakota Art Museum collects, preserves, and exhibits visual art to provide access and education, and foster appreciation of the visual arts for the people of South Dakota and its visitors.
The South Dakota Art Museum originated through the resolve and enterprise of the people of South Dakota. The plan for an art center in South Dakota originated in 1947. Under the guidance of the South Dakota Federation of Women’s Clubs, a resolution was brought forward to erect a building to be known as the South Dakota Federation of Women’s Clubs Memorial Art Center at their state convention in 1955. In April, 1955, Brookings was selected for the Art Center’s development and the South Dakota Board of Regents approved the placement of the South Dakota Memorial Art Center on the campus of South Dakota State College, now South Dakota State University (SDSU) in June. Construction of the $600,000 museum facility began in 1969 and the building was dedicated in 1970, more than 20 years after the original plan was formulated.
In 1976, the American Association of Museums (AAM) recognized the excellence of the South Dakota Memorial Art Center when it became the first museum of any kind to gain accreditation in South Dakota. The expanded scope of the Center’s programming and collections was acknowledged in 1987 when it was renamed the South Dakota Art Museum (SDAM) by the state’s Board of Regents.
In 1995, the Museum set out to raise $1.9 million for an 8500 square foot addition and renovation of the existing building. A new state-of-the-art facility opened in December 2000 after only 1.5 years - using entirely private funding.
Erik Ritter & Mark Stemwedel
March 26, 2013 through August 25, 2013
Public Reception Friday, April 12 from 4:30 - 7pm
Paul Goble's Animals
March 12 - October 13, 2013
The Gift of the Sacred Dog, 1980
Collecting Color: Costume of Indigenous Guatemala
Deidre Busacca Collection
Through June 2, 2013
Portraits by Harvey Dunn & Diana Rutherford (Dunn's granddaughter)
Through September 8, 2013
Beatta by Diana Rutherford Untitled by Harvey Dunn
Cockerline Collection: Prints of the 60s, 70s and 80s
Given in memory of Florence L. Cockerline
January 15 - May 12, 2013
Underwritten by the Larson Foundation